Archives

Early History of Churches in the Steveston Area

A Brief History of Steveston United Church

 MILESTONES IN THE HISTORY OF STEVESTON UNITED CHURCH:



1891

Church starts as Steveston Methodist Church at the corner of 2nd Ave. and Chatham St. in the building which was Steveston Bicycle for many years and is now a thrift shop.


1925
Methodists, Congregationalists and Presbyterians join to form United Church.  Steveston Methodist becomes Steveston United.


1949
Following the World War II evacuation, Japanese are finally  allowed to return to the West coast. Steveston United offers use of  their building to Japanese Mission Church.


1951
Two elders of the Japanese Church are elected elders of  Steveston United Church.


1953
Japanese Mission Church and Steveston United Church join.


1978
New church is built and congregation moves to the building we  are in now.


1989
New Christian Education Annex added.  Used for Sunday School,  bilingual English/Chinese preschool, ESL group, and Japanese Language  School.

2006
Lot located just east side of the Church, and which was previously used for things like Sunday-school picnics, was sold. Proceeds were used for major repairs and renovations to the Church.